Can I delete an asset once it has depreciated?
Once an asset has been depreciated in Asset.Guru you are no longer able to delete the asset. You must dispose of it instead. To do this, you must:
- Search for the asset in the asset register and click into it;
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page to enter notes regarding the disposal for your auditors and other staff to refer to in the future;
- Save your changes;
- Click back into the asset and click the Dispose button at the top of the page;
- Select your disposal date;
- To avoid an incorrect journal for the disposal from Asset.Guru, uncheck the tick box and click confirm, this will complete the steps for disposal within Asset.Guru.
- Now, go into your general ledger and delete/reverse the Depreciation Expense and Accumulated Depreciation amount that relates to the asset you are deleting.
**Please note that disposal journals are currently set to be run at the same time as your depreciation journals. This means that you will not see the disposal take effect on your “Current Value” balance in the Asset Register view until after your journal posting date.
Once you have disposed of the asset, you must then re-create it.
** Please remember: Undepreciated assets can be deleted with the delete asset button